Definition: this is the process of moving applications, organization’s digital assets, services, IT resources from an organization’s onsite computers to the cloud, or transferring them from one cloud environment to another. The process of transforming to a different cloud provider is known as cloud service migration. Successful migration to a service provider’s environment might feel necessity of the use of middle way, such as a cloud integration tool, to overcome any gaps between the vendor’s and the customer’s or other vendor’s technology solutions. The information can be served over the Internet on a demand basis.
To ensure that the cloud solution is compatible with organizational requirements, Cloud migration needs careful scrutiny, planning and implementation.
Data migration services: Data migration is a term used to describe the process of moving data from one storage device to another.
- Migrate bulk data to AWS / Azure with offline data transfer
- Online delta change sync after bulk data transfer via internet.
- Migrate entire instance with OS, application and data AWS / Azure
- End to End Managed services for complete migration
Cloud migration reduces threats like:
- data loss: loss of services to customers, incomplete customer profiles
- malicious insiders(it can have access to extremely secure information): brand damage, financial impact, productivity losses,
- insecure interfaces & APIs
- data discontinuity
- Account or service traffic hijacking/fishing: falsified information, data manipulation, using company data against the company itself, illegal recording of transactions & other card details of customers.
- data breaches: reputation damage, shareholder value
Major functionalities of cloud migration & its importance:
- Allows information to be provided over the internet on an demand basis.
- Enables a company to potentially reduce capital expenditure & operational costs.
- Gives advantage of dynamic scaling, high availability, multi tenancy & effective resource location.
- Ease of deployment, anywhere anytime access, access to sophisticated technology, access to reliable, secure systems.
- For increased traffic in applications and difficulties in scaling resources on the fly to meet the increasing demand.
- Reduce operational costs, while increasing IT effectiveness.
- Requirements of fast application implementation and deployment, and thus want to focus more on development while reducing infrastructure overhead.
- to expand their business geographically, with all the associated maintenance, time, human, and error control effort
- Keeping up with growing storage needs can be a problem. Migration will help in this case.
- This allows remotely located employees to access applications and work via the Internet.
- Recording and enhancing underlying server software can consume a lot of time. A cloud provider will take care of this automatically. Cloud providers, however, ensure availability and security of the network and individual services
Cloud migration strategy planning steps:
- Cloud assessment phase: assess cost, assess architecture, assess security
- Proof of concept phase: AWS learning, build a pilot, build support within organization.
- Data migration: leverage different storage options, migrate
- Application migration:
- Leverage the cloud : auto scaling, elasticity, automation ,high availability
- Optimization phase: utilization, monitoring, efficiency, performance, re-engineering
For a successful cloud migration strategy is application assessment and mapping to identify which workloads are cloud-ready as well as those that are not cloud-compatible. This requires an assessment of each application’s compute, storage, networking and security architecture, and application dependencies to ensure a smooth transition and reduce downtime.
Written By: Tinni Saha