By : Cloudxchange.io
Use Case :
Enabling End point data backup on AWS Cloud.
About Epsilon Carbon :
Epsilon Carbon’s journey started in year 2010 with aim of establishing India’s largest coal chemical processing facility. Epsilon Carbon believe that manufacturing superior products coupled with best practices will help forge ahead in newer markets and explore global partnerships.
Epsilon Carbon’s have manufacturing unit’s situated at Karnataka, Chhattisgarh and Orissa. Facilities are strategically located near raw material sources and/or customers. Epsilon Carbon’s core advantage is having 100% secured raw material which allows to build long-lasting customer relationships.
Epsilon Carbon’s produces world class coal tar derivatives designed for the global market using
enviroment friendly and energy efficient processes. Epsilon Carbon’s are constantly striving for the well-being of their customers, employees, local community and the environment.
Epsilon carbon has offices speread across multiple locations and some of them are remote locations. They generate various business critical data across their various plants and offices at various locations. They needed secure & reliable cloud based data backup solution for all the data stored on their endpoints.
- Build a flexible and scalable backup infrastructure that protects data which includes critical files.
- Centralized management of data across different branch locations.
- Data backup on low internet bandwidth.
- Large scale backup for end user devices.
- Capex investment.
- Restoration challenges.
- Storage management
Why Amazon Web Services :
Epsilon Carbon adopted backup solution on Amazon Web Services (AWS) Cloud. They were interested in determining a better solution for data backup on cloud. Epsilon Carbon engaged with cloudxchange.io, an AWS Advanced Consulting Partner to evaluate backup solution to manage large set of on-premises endpoints backup to AWS Cloud and leverage cloud benefits.
Following services have been used in AWS cloud,
- Amazon S3 Standard-Infrequent Access (S3 Standard-IA)
- Amazon EC2
- Amazon EBS
- Amazon CloudWatch
- Amazon CloudTrail
- Identity Access & Management(IAM)
- VPC Endpoint
- AWS Key Management service
Why Commvault :
Commvault is leading data management solution company and rates in leaders quarderant in gartner’s magic quarderant for years. Commvault also has native integration with AWS and has capability to leverage all storage types i.e. S3, S3 IA, Glacier etc.
Cloudxchange.io’s Approach/Proposed Solution :
Our approach to Epsilon Carbon’s for enabling data backup on AWS cloud includes the following activities:
The core infrastructure consists of three servers on AWS Mumbai region. The role for each server is describe below
Web and Proxy server: Customer self-service portal :
- Web Server The front end application for the web console that allows end-users access to data as well as administrator access to reports and additional functionality
- Proxy, Web Console & Windows File System.
Comm server: Commvault management server :
- Comm server is used for the command and control centre of the CommCell.
- Policies, client management and storage management.
Media Server : Commvault storage management server :
- media agent, data movers and deduplication engines for all the data protection operations.
- Media agent efficient replicate the data and writes directly to S3 Standard IA Storage.
Architecture Deployed :
Snapshot has been configured to recover from failure. Proxy server configured in separate subnet compared to Comm server & Media Server. Cloud watch is configured to monitor server performance
- Configure CloudProtect backup agent on customer system.
- Create a File-Level Backup Plan.
- Create a backup plan for drive level backup of files and folders.
- Create a schedule plan for backups.
- Encrypt the data in transit and at rest.
- Configure retention policies for 7 days.
- Assign separate storage pool with deduplication policies
- Amazon S3 Standard-IA is used for data backup by using the media server.
- Old data lifecycled to glacier storage for cost efficiency.
- Data in transit is compressed and encrypted.
- CloudProtect agent will restore the data on to the EC2 instances hosted on the AWS Cloud. This allows to recover from outage or failure within very short time.
- Provide End to End 24×7 backup support.
AWS Well Architected Pillers :
Cloudxchange.io’s has own service desk web portal for managing the incidents, alerts, sending alerts to user. Cloudxchange.io’s will provide 24 X 7 help desk support (Phone, Email & web based) to customers. Cloudxchange.io’s help desk will support customers to address problems related to solution. The Service Desk application includes all direct interaction between a user and the service desk by phone or by Email-ID. It also includes all user activities that occur by use of the self-service Web portal.
Functionality includes :
- Incident management, users can raise tickets via email, self-service portal, phone, or in person as per ITIL standards
- SLA Management & Self-Service Portal
- Automation & Service Catalog
- 24*7 Customer Hotline support through chat, Mobile hotline and email
- Data compressed and encrypted at source using Commvault native data encryption.
- Enabled Amazon S3-IA server-side encryption (AES-256) to encrypt the data at rest
- EBS Disk encryption by using Amazon Key Management Service
- Data Security in transit
- Identity and Access Management policies with least privileges and Role based Access Control
- Standardized CIS benchmarks for operating system hardening.
- All machines are configured with snapshot, in case of any issue we will recover image with snapshot.
- Durable data storage provided by Amazon S3-IA, which is designed for 99.9% availability over a given year
- With Amazon S3, simply pay for what they use, and billed for their usage as they go.
- The backup data are stored on reliable AWS storage which is available 24X7 for on demand restoration.
Performance Efficiency :
- Latest generation M5 series instances considered for optimized performance.
- Epsilon Carbon will access the data infrequently, so proposed solution is designed in a way to optimize the cost. Data is stored in Amazon S3 Standard Infrequent Access. So, it is a better choice with respect to cost saving
- AMD instances considered to lower the cost.
- Capacity will be reviewed every quarter for right sizing of instances.
- Machines are converted to reserve instance to lower cost after right sizing.
The Benefits & Outcomes :
Since adopting CloudProtect Backup, Epsillon Carbon staff has reduced the amount of time spent maintaining the backup infrastructure, while lowering the backup cost.
- Elimination of complex and time-consuming capacity planning – With Amazon S3, simply pay for what they use, and billed for their usage as they go.
- Free-up IT resources – Improve efficiency by freeing up valuable IT support staff in addressing backup issues,
- Reduced Capital Expenditures – no longer needs to acquire hardware system. This eliminates the burden of budgeting for capital equipment well in advance as well as the capital expense.
- Availability of data for restoring – The backup data are stored on reliable AWS storage which is available 24X7 for on demand restoration.
About the Partner :
Cloudxchange.io’s is an advance consulting partner in Amazon web service (AWS) Partner network (APN).
Our wide range of Cloud based offerings with comprehensive services and cost-effective approach will help you meet your technology and business objectives.
Cloudxchange.io’s Managed Services for public clouds delivers 24×7 monitoring and management services by experienced administrators who are experts in supporting public cloud environments. As an official technology partners with leading public cloud service providers, we provide the much-needed technical support complimenting the infrastructure and support provided by leading public cloud service providers.
With Cloudxchange.io’s Managed Services, you can rest assured knowing that your cloud infrastructure is fully managed and optimized for your business needs. Cloudxchange.io provides expert technical support with pay-as-you go managed services and improved ROI on your cloud investments.