Combination of developers with operation work better to have better communication, collaboration and integration between software developers and information technology (IT) professionals. The goal is to build trust and reduce the friction.
ideation/paper/requirement stage raised by customers, marketing or enhancement request. How this is converted into products which is being valued by end customers, whatever you deploy; the idea, the new feature, the enhancement request, based on how they utilize it you get feedback and improve the product itself. There are number of stakeholders are in between who are involved in creating and delivering the software to get the product or software tested. The work for devops is to go through the feedback and improve the software delivery process itself. It can be improved by two ways: to reduce the rework and overhead.
The focus on the developer/operations collaboration originates a new approach to managing the complexity of operations like infrastructure automation, configuration management, deployment automation, performance management, and monitoring.
TO ADOPT DEVOPS, collaboration of the following parameters are required –
- degree of agility
- level of collaboration
- process maturity
Configuration/infrastructure/IT management solves the problem of having manually installed and configure packages once the hardware is in place. The requirement of using configuration automation solutions is that servers are deployed exactly the same way every time. If you want to make a change across a thousand servers you only need to make the change in one place.
- Salt Stack
from installing an operating system, to installing and configuring servers on instances, to configure how instances and software communicate with each other, and much more. By scripting environments, one can apply the same configuration to a single node or to thousands.. Tools can be used in the cloud and in virtual and physical environments.
These tools tend to be used more frequently in Linux system automation, they have support for Windows as well. Puppethas a larger user base than Chef, and it offers more support for older, outdated operating systems. With Puppet, you can set dependencies on other tasks. With both the tools you get the same result with the same configuration no matter how many times you run it.
Why it is important for enterprises:
- Business continuity: improve business results by restructuring around customer value streams.. ensure quality to win, serve, and retain customers effectively
- Continuous integration and delivery
- Fault tolerance
- deliver innovative digital solutions that delight customers and win markets
- time to market: reduce time to market by through streamlined software delivery.
- Throughput: increase team productivity and deliver new functionality faster.
- Risk: early identification of quality concerns, reduction of defects across the life cycle
- Resiliency: operational state is more secure and stable and changes are systematically auditable. Its ability to shorten an application’s time to market by uniting development and operations teams, creating standardized processes that reduce the time it takes to get an application up and running. These standardized processes are developed through the orchestration of several different automated tasks to create a repeatable, reusable workflow.
WRITTEN BY: TINNI SAHA