By : Cloudxchange.io
Use Case :
Archival for customer critical application and end user data.
Accord Fintech wanted to have archival of 9 TB of critical data stored on employee laptops, file server and database server for 9-11 years. Data integrity, cost and security were the biggest challenges for long term storage.
The recovery time expected for business teams was 8 hours. Using a combination of Cloudberry MSP and Commvault with the power of AWS Glacier , we are able to achieve long term archival with advanced security.
About Accord Fintech :
Accord Fintech Pvt. Ltd. is an ISO 9001:2015 certified company, set up by a team of professionals with competencies in Financial content, software development and database design using a variety of platforms, technologies and financial do main knowledge. Accord Fintech are in process of setting up a strong product portfolio that will be known for reliability and become major strength of ACCORD for the years to come.
The Challenge :
- Accord Fintech wants to build a flexible and scalable backup infrastructure that protects data including image, object, file and folder data.
- Use of Cloudberry although provides great backup facilities but does not cater to security concerns.
- Deduplication and compression of enterprise grade are necessary.
- Long term data retention.
- Retrieval Challenges and handling of tapes – Accord fintech had to wait 2 days for the tapes to be shipped back to the data center from remote location and then retrieve the data.
- Ransomware protection and enterprise security for archival.
- Lack of backup management workforce.
- Remote wipe and location tracking.
- Remote location for backup.
Why Amazon Web Services :
Accord Fintech wanted archival solution with cost effective mechanism. They were interested in determining a better solution for data archival on cloud with deduplication, compression, client side encryption,ransomware protection. Amazon web services S3 and Glacier services gave became a perfect suite in respect to storage security and cost.
Following services have been used in AWS cloud,
- Amazon S3
- Amazon Glacier
- VPC endpoints for S3
- Amazon EC2
- Amazon EBS
- Key management service
Third Party Services :
- Cloudberry Backup and Archival (MSP 360)
- Commvault enterprise backup
- Site 24×7 monitoring
Cloudxchange.io’s Approach / Proposed Solution :
- Our approach to Accord fintech for enabling data backup and archival on cloud includes the following activities:
- Onboarding customer to Commvault endpoint and server protection.
- Setup of commvault master and media agent servers in AWS Mumbai region.
- Configure CloudProtect/commvault agent on customer endpoints and servers.
- Create an archival plan for drive level backup of files and folders.
- Create a schedule for backups.
- Encrypt the data in transit (VPN).
- Amazon Glacier is used as direct endpoint for the critical data archival.
- Commvault agent will provide ransomware protection, hence the archived can be retrieved in case of attack in onpremise.
- In case the data need to be restored, the CloudProtect agent will search the S3 bucket for the data to be restored. Any additional data, not found in the S3 bucket, will be retrieved from the Glacier archive.
- Expedited data retrieval allows to access the archived data within a period of a few minutes.
- Once the data is retrieved, we can create server if needed using data available.
- This allows to recover from server outage or failure within very short time.
- Provide End to End 24×7 backup support.
Architecture Diagram :
Functionality includes :
- Incident management, users can raise tickets via email, self-service portal, phone, or in person as per ITIL standards.
- Backup and archival reporting.
- SLA Management & Self-Service Portal.
- Automation & Service Catalog.
- 24*7 Customer Hotline support through chat, Mobile hotline and email.
- Enabled Multi-level security – AES-256 encryption, password protection and SSL while transferring the data on AWS Cloud.
- Commvault ransomware protection.
- Data encryption at client site.
- Remote wipe.
- Geo location tracking.
- Enabled Amazon S3 server-side encryption to encrypt the data.
- Durable data storage provided by Amazon S3 Galcier, which is designed for 11 nines durability.
- Glacier provides eleven 9’s durability for reliable data storage.
- Accord Fintech will access the data infrequently, so proposed solution is designed in a way to optimize the cost. Data will move into glacier, since customer is fine with the retrievals process of 5 hours. So, it is a better choice with respect to cost saving.
The Benefits :
- Accord fintech staff has reduced the amount of time spent maintaining secondary backup infrastructure, while lowering the backup cost.
- Elimination of complex and time-consuming capacity planning – With Amazon S3 and Glacier, simply pay for what they use, and are billed for their usage as they go.
- Free-up IT resources – Improve efficiency by freeing up valuable financial and staff re sources.
- Reduced Capital Expenditures – no longer needs to acquire, enterprise backup software, or hardware system. This eliminates the burden of budgeting for capital equipment well in advance as well as the capital expense.
- Availability of data for restoring on cloud– no need to locate or retrieve on physical server. During critical events such as on-premises data center outage, when many applications must be restored simultaneously and as soon as possible. None of these problems occur with Amazon S3. Data restores can begin immediately, within hours.
- Data retrieval time has reduced from 2.5 days to 8 hours using AWS glacier standard retrieval.
About the Partner :
Cloudxchange.io’s is an Advanced consulting partner with Amazon web service (AWS).
Our wide range of Cloud based offerings with comprehensive services and cost-effective approach helps customer meet their technology and business objectives.
Cloudxchange.io’s Managed Services for public clouds delivers 24×7 monitoring and management services by experienced administrators who are experts in supporting public cloud environments. As an official technology partners with leading public cloud service providers and enterprise third party vendors, we provide the much-needed technical support complimenting the infrastructure and applications.
With Cloudxchange.io’s Managed Services, the customer can rest assured knowing that their cloud infrastructure is fully managed and optimized for your business needs. Cloudxchange.io provides expert technical support with pay-as-you go managed services and improved ROI on your cloud investments.